Virtual and Phone consultations available in all cases.

Schedule Your Consultation Now

Avvo Rating
State Bar of California
Featured in huffpost Live
Best Attorney
Top Rated Lawyer
Greater Irvine Chamber
Iranian American Chamber of Commerce
2022 Winner Woman-Owned Small Business Award
Winner 2022 Woman-Owned Small Business Award
The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
America's Top 50 Lawyers 2023

Plea Withdrawal

Plea Withdrawal – PC 1018

A motion to withdraw a plea is a request made to the court to reverse the criminal court process in order to give you a fresh start. Such a motion is only granted once the judge has established the presence of good cause, which may be:

  • You entered the plea without attorney representation,
  • Your attorney did not inform you of some or all of the consequences of pleading guilty or no contest,
  • You were coerced into pleading guilty,
  • The attorney who represented you was incompetent,
  • Language barrier,
  • Where new evidence has surfaced,
  • The attorney entered a guilty plea without your consent,
  • You did not intelligently plead guilty, perhaps as a result of intoxication or mental handicap.

Under California penal code 1018, as long as a defendant demonstrates good cause and files a plea withdrawal before sentencing or within 6 months of a probation sentence, then such a defendant

  • Has a right to file for a withdrawal in order to be given the opportunity to enter a not guilty plea, if the original guilty plea was entered without guidance from an attorney
  • Has a right to file for a withdrawal, even where they had attorney representation.

It is also possible to withdraw a plea even after incarceration through a writ of habeas corpus. Your attorney can argue that your detention is unlawful because of certain details in your particular criminal case. You can also enter a motion for expungement once you have served your prison sentence. Expungements, although they don’t completely erase your conviction in California, effectively withdraw your plea.

A withdrawal plea is filed when you realize that pleading guilty or ‘no contest’ was not in your interest. For example, you may be advised that your plea will lead to unexpected penalties, or that a new, different plea is available and may result in a lighter sentence

How the plea withdrawal process works

As long as you are working within the specified timeframe for filing for a plea withdrawal, you and your attorney can build your case to show there’s good cause for your plea. During the hearing, your criminal defense attorney will present your case to the court in good faith that the judge will accept the presence of good cause and grant the plea to withdraw.

If the plea withdrawal is granted, the criminal proceedings will start over, and you will get a new chance to plead not guilty. If the plea withdrawal is denied, you will be sentenced or continue serving your sentence.

Any plea bargains you had with the prosecution will be voided when you file a motion to withdraw a guilty plea.

Losing a plea withdrawal motion

Losing your withdrawal motion binds you to your sentence. You do still have the option of filing an appeal while you serve your sentence, or expunging the conviction after the successful completion of probation. Through the appeals process, you can appeal the decision to deny the withdrawal plea by demonstrating that The judge:

  • Made a legal error in the ruling
  • Abused his/her power

An expungement can only be granted after full completion of a sentence. The process results in permanent erasure of a criminal record and thus gives you the right to state that you have never been convicted of any crimes.

Your criminal attorney can also petition for termination of probation and if this is successful, it means that you cannot be charged with probation violation since the court has withdrawn the penalty.

Client Reviews
The Johnson Law Group handled a very important and delicate matter with professionalism and a caring manner. Attorneys were knowledgeable, in communications, and provided a top notch service to my need. I highly recommend the Johnson Law Group for your important legal issues. Hardy Jr.
Lauren Johnson-Norris was amazing. She explained everything in ways that were easily understood, & answered all of my question. She was respectful, but also open & honest. She started work on my case the first day we met & got results quickly. She demonstrated passion, concern, and showed true feeling for my situation. My expectations were greatly exceeded. I would say she has an incredible attention for detail, & has a real dedication to her work. Lauren Johnson-Norris would be my first recommendation to any of my family or friends similarly in need of legal assistance. Heather
I researched a lot of attorneys and had met with two attorneys before speaking with Ms. Johnson-Norris and retaining her. I was facing serious charges that could not be on my record, due to my job and was really scared. I felt hopeless & thought my life was ruined...until I found Ms. Johnson-Norris… A criminal defense client (drug case)
She is on point. She knows her field well. I have to give credit where credit is due, you deserve it Lauren Johnson-Norris… Anonymous, Victim of Domestic Violence
Lauren Johnson-Norris was my saving grace. I naively thought you were innocent until proven guilty. However, I soon discovered that CPS and family court does not see things that way… Mrs. G, a CPS client