Orange County Criminal Lawyers
License Suspension in Aliso Viejo
In the city of Aliso Viejo, as in the rest of California, your driver’s license could be suspended by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (CA DMV) or by the state courts for a number of reasons. When your driver’s license is suspended, it means that driving privileges previously granted to you by the state have been taken away from you. Although sometimes misunderstood, driving is not a right to which everyone is entitled.Reasons for License Suspension
There are several reasons why your driver’s license may be suspended in Aliso Viejo. Some of the reasons include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For a first time DUI, the consequences and penalties are a lot less severe than a repeat offenders would be. For example, if it is a first time offense, then in order to prevent a driver’s license suspension, it is important to avoid a DUI conviction in cout and to avoid losing a hearing.
- Driving while being mentally or physically unfit. Some of the physical requirements that the California DMV looks for when evaluating whether or not an individual can safely operate a motor vehicle are the mobility, strength, stamina, and coordination necessary. In addition, the mental criteria required include focus of attention, appropriate judgement, proper integration of sensory input, and proper associations of thought.
- Getting into a traffic accident without insurance,
- Failing to Appear (FTA) in court when asked to after receiving a traffic ticket,
- Not paying the fine resulting from a failure to appear that you are asked to pay
- Driving a commercial vehicle without a commercial driver’s license
- Reckless driving and so on.
Additionally, under the Negligent Operator Treatment System(NOTS) rules, if you accumulate points on your driver record, your license could also be suspended. To accumulate points, the driver has to receive conviction notices from courts or reports of collisions where the driver was at fault or responsible. An example of convictions that would generate higher amounts of points would be a hit and run or a DUI, which would both be assigned two points each. On the other hand, offenses such as speed or operating an unsafe vehicle would be assigned one point each. Based on the number of points that you receive within a designated time period, the driving privilege may be suspended.What to do if Your License is Suspended
If your driver’s license is suspended, you have several options depending on the circumstances of the suspension. Having a competent attorney, knowledgeable about license suspension on your side, can help you find the best strategy to plead your license suspension.
For example, if your suspension was due to a DUI of alcohol or for failing to have car insurance, you can apply to have a restricted license until your permanent license is reinstated. There are some conditions that you will need to meet in order for you to acquire the restricted license including enrolling to a licensed DUI First Offender Program.
Call our criminal defense lawyers immediately if your driver license is at risk of suspension. A one day delay could mean the difference between driving your own vehicle to work or taking the bus.