SR-22 in Aliso Viejo
The SR-22 is a document prepared and filed by an auto insurance company to the Department of Motor Vehicles, to verify that a person has taken auto insurance. The SR-22 is not the insurance policy but rather evidence that a person has auto insurance. It is a promise to the state that you are consistently making sure that your coverage is continuous and that you are being financially responsible.When Is the SR-22 Required?
In Aliso Viejo, auto insurance companies are legally required to provide proof that a driver is insured and to additionally report on the insurance status of a vehicle. The SR-22 is therefore primarily useful for a vehicle’s first registration or during the vehicle’s registration renewal. It is not a form of insurance, but rather a form that the insurance company has to complete to prove that you are insured. It is also a way to help you get back on the road after a major road incident if you may have gotten your license and/or registration suspended.
Apart from the usual occurrence mentioned above, the SR-22 is also required after a driver is convicted of a DUI, (or another vehicle related driving violation) and is trying to get their driver’s license reinstated. A few examples of the different types of charges that could lead to the necessity of this form being filled out include reckless driving, being in an accident where you are at fault , or any situation where someone was injured and the responsibility belongs to you in a car accident.
Other violations that would require a driver to get an SR-22 in order to have their driver’s license reinstated include, driving without insurance, driving on a suspended license or reckless driving.
The SR-22 is usually obligatory for a number of years after the DUI conviction and is required whether a person owns a vehicle or not.How to Get an SR-22 Form
The only way to acquire an SR-22 form is through a car insurance company after obtaining a car insurance policy. It should be noted that the SR-22 requirement is not everlasting and the length usually does not surpass 5 years. It depends on the state. The price of an SR-22 form is usually only a one time filing fee. However, the event that resulted in the need for an SR-22 form can drastically increase the price for car insurance.
- The SR-22 can be filed for and acquired after paying a small fee to the insurance company.
- The insurance company will ensure that you are paying the state minimum liability insurance before issuing the SR-22.
- The insurance company will then submit the SR-22 to the California DMV within Thirty days of your application.
- Once the SR-22 is approved by the California DMV, the DMV will send you a letter stating that they have received the SR-22.
- If you fail to pay your premiums on time, the SR-22 will be cancelled and an SR-26 will be filed with the DMV. The DMV will then suspend your license until you renew your insurance and file for a new SR-22.
Contact Johnson Criminal Law Group so we can assist you today.