False Report of a Crime (PC 148.5) in Anaheim
Making a false report of a crime in the city of Anaheim can easily land you in jail for breaking California Penal Code 148.5.What constitutes the ‘False Report of a Crime’?
- According to 148.5(a), you are guilty of a crime if you deliberately report false information to an authority including (such as a peace officer, Attorney General, or District Attorney) that a misdemeanor or felony crime has been committed
- According to 148.5(b)(c)(d), you are guilty of a crime if you deliberately make a false report to a peace officer, grand jury, a person assigned to accept/hear reports from the citizenry e.g. a 911 operator, and so on, that a crime has been committed if:
- The information is given to the officer while he/she is performing their duties in their professional capacity
- The culprit knew or should have known that they were giving the false report to an officer
- According to 148.5(e), this section doesn’t apply to individuals who are required by law to report suspected or known incidences of elder abuse, child abuse or dependent adult abuse
In some cases, individuals out to retaliate against someone else may make a false report that the person committed a crime. This is a crime, and unfortunately happens sometimes when relationships sour.Defenses against a ‘False Report of a Crime’ accusation
If you are charged with violating PC 148.5, it is imperative that you call an experienced attorney to defend your case. Some of the defense strategies that the attorney will explore include:
- You did not have knowledge that you were falsifying information or that the report you made was false
- You had no fraudulent intent when making the report
- You had no way of knowing that the person you talked to was an authority
Depending on the circumstances of your case, there are many different defense strategies that the attorney can explore. Calling your attorney as soon as you can is important for a strong defense to be mounted on your behalf.
Contact a lawyer at the Johnson Criminal Law Group today if you are being charged with making a false report of a crime.