Failure to Report or Absconding in Anaheim

If a California court issues you with parole or probation, one of the important requirements is that you regularly check in with the assigned supervising officer. If you fail to meet or check in with your probation/parole officer, (as the case may be), you can then be accused of ‘failure to report or absconding’ parole or probation.

Failure to report to a probation officer

In Anaheim (and in the state of California) probation is considered to be a privilege and not a right. As such, the threshold for proving an accusation is much lower than what is expected in a criminal trial. It is therefore quite easy to be found in violation of the requirement to meet your probation officer - there is no trial and the probation officer’s testimony is given much more weight than the defendant’s. This may seem unfair, but the California legislature has decided it fair, and thus made it law.

Failure to report to a parole officer

In Anaheim, a parolee who is accused of failure to report or absconding is likely to face stiffer punishment than a probationer who is accused of the similar violation. Parolees who go missing will often go back to jail.

Punishment for failure to report

Without a very good reason for why you went missing, you will face severe punishment including extended terms of probation/parole, extended jail time, hefty fines, etc.. The punishment you will face will depend on numerous considerations by the judge which include but are not limited to:

  • Previous parole/probation violations
  • The seriousness of your violation
  • Reasons for the probation violation

If you are accused of failure to report or absconding parole or probation in the city of Anaheim, it is very important that you have a criminal defense attorney to represent you and defend you against the accusation. Depending on the circumstances, it can be proven that you have not violated the requirement to report or the consequences of the violation could be mitigated and you could receive a less harsh punishment for the violation.

Call our office today to discuss a failure to report. As always, your call is confidential and we will give you options that suit your best interests.

Free Phone Consultation
(949) 622-5522(949) 622-5522 - Available 24/7 | Se habla Español - Get Help with Bail Bonds