Virtual and Phone consultations available in all cases.

Schedule Your Consultation Now

Avvo Rating
State Bar of California
Featured in huffpost Live
Best Attorney
Top Rated Lawyer
Greater Irvine Chamber
Iranian American Chamber of Commerce
2022 Winner Woman-Owned Small Business Award
Winner 2022 Woman-Owned Small Business Award
The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
America's Top 50 Lawyers 2023

Contempt of Court in Aliso Viejo

Contempt of Court PC 166 in Aliso Viejo

Contempt of court occurs when a judge feels someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court’s authority, and is categorized as either criminal or civil. Criminal contempt is when the contemnor interferes with the ability of the court to function properly. With direct contempt, it happens in the presence of the court. An example would be yelling at the judge or refusing to testify in a manner that is disrespectful and/or impedes the court’s ability to function. With indirect contempt, it happens outside the presence of the judge, and is most often the case with civil contempt. Civil contempt of court happens when someone fails to adhere to an order from the court or fails to satisfy a court order. For example, someone who fails to pay court ordered child support or failing to abide by a child custody order can be punished for civil contempt.

In the city of Aliso Viejo and in the state of California, ‘contempt of court’ essentially refers to behavior that is disrespectful of the court or its process. The purpose of the ‘contempt of court’ charge is to assert the authority of the court and to maintain its dignity and respect.

Behavior Defined as Being in Contempt of Court

California Penal Code Section 166 defines the conduct that the court would define as ‘contempt of court’. Some of the behavior viewed as disrespectful and therefore in ‘contempt of court’ includes:

  • Interrupting court proceedings in an unbecoming manner. For example, by excessively shouting in a court proceeding
  • Publishing a grossly inaccurate/false account of court proceedings
  • Deliberately disobeying the terms of an issued injunction or court order
  • Declining to be sworn in as a witness or refusing to answer a material question when there is no legal exception to do so
  • Deliberately and knowingly violating a protective/stay-away order that involves elder abuse, adult dependent abuse or domestic abuse
Defense Against PC 166

To defend against a PC 166 charge, you need an expert defense attorney who can represent you and prove the following:

  • That you did not know or lacked requisite knowledge. For example, you did not know there was a court order because it was mailed to a wrong address
  • You did not act intentionally. For example, you visited a cinema where you happened to meet someone you were ordered by the court to stay away from or
  • You have been falsely accused of being in contempt of court

Another defense that could be used is that you were simply unable to abide by the order. Because of this, the contempt was not done willfully and therefore does not satisfy all the elements of what is defined as contempt of court. This is a common defense for people instructed by the court to pay child support or other fees, but do not have the financial capability to do so.

It is important to call a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, for the best defense to be strategized. We can defend you at Johnson Criminal Law Group. Call our law firm immediately.

Client Reviews
The Johnson Law Group handled a very important and delicate matter with professionalism and a caring manner. Attorneys were knowledgeable, in communications, and provided a top notch service to my need. I highly recommend the Johnson Law Group for your important legal issues. Hardy Jr.
Lauren Johnson-Norris was amazing. She explained everything in ways that were easily understood, & answered all of my question. She was respectful, but also open & honest. She started work on my case the first day we met & got results quickly. She demonstrated passion, concern, and showed true feeling for my situation. My expectations were greatly exceeded. I would say she has an incredible attention for detail, & has a real dedication to her work. Lauren Johnson-Norris would be my first recommendation to any of my family or friends similarly in need of legal assistance. Heather
I researched a lot of attorneys and had met with two attorneys before speaking with Ms. Johnson-Norris and retaining her. I was facing serious charges that could not be on my record, due to my job and was really scared. I felt hopeless & thought my life was ruined...until I found Ms. Johnson-Norris… A criminal defense client (drug case)
She is on point. She knows her field well. I have to give credit where credit is due, you deserve it Lauren Johnson-Norris… Anonymous, Victim of Domestic Violence
Lauren Johnson-Norris was my saving grace. I naively thought you were innocent until proven guilty. However, I soon discovered that CPS and family court does not see things that way… Mrs. G, a CPS client