COVID-19 UPDATE: Virtual and Phone Consultations Available in All Cases - We Offer Payment Plans - Learn More

Avvo Rating
State Bar of California
Featured in huffpost Live
Super Lawyers
Best Attorney

Child Abuse Reports

What Happens When Someone Reports Child Abuse?

When someone reports child abuse, be it through a child abuse hotline, a teacher or the police, the social service agency or CPS is required to come out to the family home and review the family or the condition where the child abuse is alleged to occur.

They will interview the family, interview the children and anyone else who's reported or involved. They will conduct an investigation. Sometimes, the children are interviewed by a child abuse assessment team and the parents are expected to cooperate with that. Then, they will determine whether or not there are services that can be offered to family to keep the children safely at home, to keep the family together, or if it's necessary to protect the child or children, to file a petition to the juvenile court.

Client Reviews
Lauren Johnson was amazing. She explained everything in ways that were easily understood, & answered all of my question. She was respectful, but also open & honest. She started work on my case the first day we met & got results quickly. She demonstrated passion, concern, and showed true feeling for my situation. My expectations were greatly exceeded. I would say she has an incredible attention for detail, & has a real dedication to her work. Lauren Johnson would be my first recommendation to any of my family or friends similarly in need of legal assistance. - Heather
I researched a lot of attorneys and had met with two attorneys before speaking with Ms. Johnson and retaining her. I was facing serious charges that could not be on my record, due to my job and was really scared. I felt hopeless & thought my life was ruined...until I found Ms. Johnson... - A criminal defense client (drug case)
She is on point. She knows her field well. I have to give credit where credit is due, you deserve it Lauren Johnson... - Anonymous, Victim of Domestic Violence
Lauren K. Johnson was my saving grace. I naively thought you were innocent until proven guilty. However, I soon discovered that CPS and family court does not see things that way... - Mrs. G, a CPS client
Thank you Lauren for your help and support in a very scary, bad time in my life! You were a ray of sunshine in a very dark place. I didn't have to step foot in a court room once, Lauren was there for me... - JB A criminal client