Bribing a Witness in Aliso Viejo
In the city of Aliso Viejo and in the state of California, offering a bribe, bribing, or receiving a bribe as a witness is a felony.
According to California Penal Code 137, it is an offense to give a bribe to a witness with the intention to corrupt and influence their testimony in a legal proceeding.
California Penal Code 138(a) deals with bribery offered or given to a witness regarding their attendance at a legal proceeding, while Penal Code 138(b) addresses bribes taken by a witness to influence their attendance or testimony in court.Elements that the prosecutor must prove
For a prosecutor to succeed at bringing charges against you, they must prove the following key elements:
- That you offered or gave a bribe
- That it was actually a bribe
- That the bribe was to a witness or someone about to give material information
- That there was material information involved to prove a crime
- That the material information was about to be given to law enforcement
- That your actions were meant to corrupt the witness or person about to give material information to law enforcement
- That you intended to act in such a manner
- That the purpose of the bribe was to influence the person’s testimony or information in the legal proceeding
Under PC 137 and 138, the felony charge of bribing a witness attracts a penalty of up to 4 years in state prison if you are convicted.
Since this is a serious offense that can easily land you in jail, it is important to find an experienced defense attorney with experience in this specific kind of case to defend you. At the Johnson Criminal Law Group, we fight for your rights – contact us now.